Posted on October 12 2018
“People talk about physical fitness, but mental health is equally important. I see people suffering, and their families feel a sense of shame about it, which doesn't help. One needs support and understanding. I am now working on an initiative to create awareness about anxiety and depression and help people.”
- Deepika Padukone - an exceptional actor and a depression survivor
World Mental Health Day is celebrated on 10th October 2018 every year with an aim to create awareness of the mental conditions and remove the stigma attached to it from the society. Hardcore workout regimes and strict diet plans might drag you closer to your dream body but what about a healthy mind?
Mental Health should be our prime focus but amidst strict deadlines and never-ending chores, we tend to forget to treat our mind with healthy thoughts and relaxation.
Here are some exercises and health hacks that will keep the stress at bay and your mental health rising-
- Walk away - Walking is considered therapeutic and is one of the simplest and affordable physical exercises of all time. Walking stimulates the elements of our brain and helps us relax in times of excessive stress and panic. Researches have shown that low-intensity activities improve alertness and promote positive thoughts.
- Dance it out - Dancing is usually the physical expression of feeling happy but get groovy even when you feel like rolling up in your cozy blanket and drink tea. Dancing is a physical exercise that is ought to trash out disturbing feelings and leave you refreshed and content.
- Swim deeper - Swimming is that one physical exercise that not just strengthens our complete body but has rejuvenating powers for our mind too. Swimming requires every muscle of our body to participate and bring immense pleasure.
- Do Yoga - Yoga is the oldest form of exercise and has historical roots attached to it. Yoga is an art and science of mind that has health attributes associated with it. Meditation and other yoga poses are specifically designed to keep our mental health on track and save us from unnecessary distractions. The art of performing Yoga is dated back to many centuries and its advantageous benefits are known to all.
- Cycling - Cycling is yet another form of physical exercise that is prescribed to get some relief from mental illness. Cycling is essential to boost our mental health and help us concentrate on better things of life. A little cardio each morning helps keep us active and our mind even stronger.
These simple exercises are a sure shot way to easily retaliate from the stressful events and make our life worth living. The most important activity to stay away from stress and panic creating situation is Rest. Yes, you read it right!
Technically it is not an exercise, but incorporating rest time into your fitness regime is essential for both mental and physical fitness.
Let us all keep a check on our fitness training routine and incorporate a little of each step to ensure a healthy gut along with a healthy mind.